Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Skidmore Story: Tron Legacy! And Lightning!

Well, I've done it. I've finally seen Tron Legacy. But I have to say, choosing to go to the 9:55 showing then immediately writing this post was probably not my greatest idea in the world, but meh, it's worth it I suppose. For the one reader out there, I must push forward! So anyway, Tron Legacy. For a sequel, it was pretty darn good. If you didn't know, Tron came out in 1982, which was more than 20 years ago. That makes Tron Legacy a long, long, long overdue movie. Even more so than the gap between Episode 6 and the suck-ish prequels of Star Wars. Overall I have to give Tron Legacy a 4/5 though. In 1984, even with reduced special effects, the movie would of been much better. But with the idea of Tron being around for more than 20 years, the idea really isn't that ground breaking anymore. Plus, with me boring the totally boring person that I am, I thought there was too much action. This age in general, everything is always about fighting. There can never be a movie without at least one fight scene (unless perhaps it's a romantic comedy) in a movie. And if there is, it's considered terrible. For example, Star Trek was a series about exploration: finding new worlds, new people, and new technology, like Kevin Flynn in the original Tron. But Tron Legacy isn't about exploring new worlds, ideas, or philosophies, but rather Flynn's son trying to find his father, stopping at nothing. This includes expunging any 'program' that gets in his way. The movie is relatively on giant action scene, ready to blow your mind with stunning visuals and saturnine landscapes, with a few flashing lights plopped in every once in a while. Nonetheless, the movie is excellent, and deserves every bit of praise it received from the critics.


Lighting! Okay, I promised you a blog about a multitude of things, and here's where the science comes into play. I'm currently building a Tesla Coil. If you don't know what that is, see the above picture. Essentially, it's one giant lightning generator capable of powering things like light bulbs wirelessly. There's more to come, and I've just finished my first design plan today, but I will be letting you guy(s) know how it's all coming along!

This is Taylor Skidmore, signing off.

P.S. I can't write/think straight at 1 A.M.

P.P.S. If you do actually read this blog, please tell your neighbours, your friends, family, anyone! We need a community!

P.P.P.S. Happy birthday to quite possibly our only reader, Sadie King-Hoffmann!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor,
    I understand what you mean about the action vs. thought problem. I almost punched a guy last week who preferred Star Wars to Star Trek because the latter was quote, "Booooring".

    ReplyDelete